Friday, March 15, 2013

Genre Study

Your task over spring break is to read and analyze genre fiction.  You MAY read a book that you have read before!  But it must fit into (or play with the conventions of) a specific genre (CLICK to see subgenre of each):
Non-narrative Forms
Big Ol' List of Narrative Genres:

Science Fiction (three pages of subgenres, navigate through the link)

Your task is to identify at least three (3) common features or conventions of your genre used in the book you read.  You MAY write one paragraph critiquing the genre/form by explaining how other elements that weren't used might have been more effective.  
Write a Big Essay (70 points, standard rubric, at least 700 words) to explain:

How do genre elements help to uniquely convey the [theme/mood/characterization] of your book?

Final draft due Monday 3/25.  I will check the Drive and make comments to drafts before Friday, 3/22.  Good luck, and have fun!

7 comments:

  1. Mr. Dennis,
    I am having trouble finding a website that specifys the conventions of the supernatural thriller sub-genre, which I have determined my book to be[not Psycho because I couldn't find it]. If you could give me any suggestion of where to find these convention I would be very grateful. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice! This site had some good explanation and includes solid literary examples. Especially check out the bulleted points; that's where you should get your three conventions from.

      http://cct300-f08.wikispaces.com/Supernatural+Thrillers

      Hope it helps!

      Delete
    2. Great choice! This site had some good explanation and includes solid literary examples. Especially check out the bulleted points; that's where you should get your three conventions from.

      http://cct300-f08.wikispaces.com/Supernatural+Thrillers

      Hope it helps!

      Delete
  2. I was just wondering if I had gotten my essay in too late for you to comment on it since I misinterpreted the blog and thought that they had to be in on Friday. I was just wondering so that I could start revising it myself if you weren't going to make any revisions/comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Dennis, I sent my essay to you on Wednesday, and I still haven't gotten any comments. Also, you haven't been responding to my e-mails, so I'm not quite sure what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add that I was confused on what exactly to write about for the essay. I wasn't sure whether you wanted us to write about the style elements (narration form, italicized thoughts, etc) or plot events (Jack getting possessed, Tony, etc). I did a mixture of both: Form of narration, Tony, and thoughts in parentheses. I really hope that's what we were supposed to do. The websites you provided didn't really help me with what I was confused on.

    ReplyDelete